Sunday 16 March 2014

D I Y : Shrink Plastic Jewellery

I have been wanting for ages to be able to create my own jewellery, as I'm known to buy very expensive earrings at markets and such. Yesterday, I experimented with shrink plastic, which is exactly as it sounds: plastic that shrinks!

Shrink Plastic comes in either transparent or white, but only white was available. There are so many different possibilities those sheets of plastic can become! Earrings, necklaces, rings, brooches... you name it! I bought my supplies from Riots and Etsy for about $15 all together (minus colours!)


SHRINK PLASTIC JEWELLERY
STEP 1: It is recommended you sand the plastic sheet, however not necessary. Draw your design onto the plastic sheet using permanent markers, coloured pencils or acrylic paints (thinned). Make sure you are aware that your design will shrink to about 1/4 of its size and you will hardly be able to see any imperfections! The colours will appear light but will intensify as it shrinks.

STEP 2: Preheat your oven to 180° celsius (oven temps may vary). Does not need long to heat; about 5 minutes.

STEP 3: Cut out your design (including any necessary holes) and place on a sheet of baking paper on a oven-proof tray. The plastic will start to curl and as soon as it does, take the tray out and rest it for a minute or so. Pop it back in the oven and it will start to flatten out. Bake for another 2 minutes or so and take it out. Caution: may be hot.



STEP 4: Apply a coat of clear nailpolish/varnish to seal in your design (not essential but recommended.) Then voila! You're done!


I'm going to try using nailpolish (after plastic has shrunk) and making necklaces and geometric designs. I can't wait! Happy crafting...

No comments:

Post a Comment