Wednesday 16 April 2014

T A S T E B U D S : Aboard the Vegan Voyage

Yesterday, my friends and I trekked all the way to Ascot Vale from the Eastern Suburbs for some delicious vegan desserts. They're both vegetarian and vegan, so whenever I'm out with them it's a chance for me to try and change my lifestyle, one meal at a time. Slowly but surely, one day I'll be living a plant based lifestyle and both myself and this lovely Earth will thank me for it!

MISTER NICE GUY'S BAKESHOP

Coordinates? -37.774101, 144.915413 (or 151 Union Road, Ascot Vale 3032)



Instagram Worthy? Yep. Retro chic and neat typography. Also, there are grass bunnies and chalk board menus.


$? Cupcakes and cakes are under $5 but almost everything else is not. But for the organic and vegan goodness, it's understandable! Minimum of $10 on Eftpos though but there are ATMs down the street!



Tastebuds? Satisfied. I had a curried Tofu bagel which was very filling and delicious! I usually dislike Tofu but I didn't even know it was Tofu when I bought it! I also had an Organic Cola and I swooned when I saw the packaging. Following this, I had a Golden Comb cupcake which was a vanilla toffee cupcake with caramel frosting, drizzled with chocolate ganache and honeycomb - sadly the honeycomb was like a rock! All in all, about a 7/10.




I've seen countless photos and recipes that tickled my fancy (and tastebuds) about raw, dairy-free and vegan food. I was on my way to work and had enough time to drop in to my local Go Vita shop who are always out of CoYo. Lucky for me, they weren't and it was on sale! I bought passionfruit as there was none of the natural kind left. I also had to buy some Loving Earth chocolate as I walked back to the counter. I'm very easily persuaded. However, my tastebuds didn't react as well to the Organic Raw Coconut Mylk Chocolate as it did to the CoYo - which was so creamy and very much mirrored the texture of Greek Yoghurt, so yum! - as I'm not used to raw foods but it's growing on me.

Hopefully you can try some of these vegan goodies the next time you are scribbling down yoghurt or chocolate on the shopping list. They're available at most health shops! Next on mine are the coconut mylk and caramel Luvju chocolates by Loving Earth and the coconut milk Ice Cream by CoYo. I don't even feel guilty about grabbing a spoon and digging into it, straight out of the container. If it's good for the Earth, it's good for me!

Oh, and I'll take any chance to jam to 'Mmm, I like!' by Nikki Webster. There's a 99% chance that will be your reaction. And be sure to post your favourite recipes or products in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment